150 views
1.3

On 7/24/19 just before noon my DSL line went down. The first (hour long) call to support ended with them claiming that it was "the line" and promising to have a tech call me within 24 hours to schedule an on premises visit, even though I told them the steps I had taken, and that the problem was entirely at their end.

After a while I called back to see if I could find someone competent.

This cipher claimed that he ran a bunch of tests and that the problem was indeed the line.

The third call was also a waste of time.

By the fourth call I was getting less tactful. This person claimed that it was my modem that was at fault. I explained that I had already tried my backup modem and both modems did exactly the same thing. I asked him if he was going to claim that both known-good modems developed exactly the same problem at the same time, and he said yes!

I (being more polite than he deserved) told him that he was an idiot and demanded to speak to a supervisor. He promised to have a supervisor call me and I hung up.

About 15 minutes later, six hours after the outage started, everything started working again.

Earthlink support was completely useless and probably had nothing to do with anything working again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Earthlink Technical Support.

EarthLink Cons: Worthless technical support.

Location: Chicago, Illinois