They were down4Hours. I phone INDIA.

They say "WE ARE NOT DOWN, your MODEM IS OLD. and FRIED. "I'll buy one at FRYS I say. No you can't they say.

You have to buy it from us. 81,00 with shipping. OK I say. Ten minutes later, ELN is back on line.

IT WAS EARTHLINK IN AN OUTAGE and it was NOT MY MODEM. I call the tekkie immediately and say "cancel that purchase. He says you have to call biz office tomorrow. I CANNOT void your purchase.

WHAT?? I DO call BIZ OFFICE as SOON as it opens but NEXT DAY that MODEM IS UPS-ed to MY FRONT GATE. THEY TOOK 81.00 from my bank.

HOAXED ME. JEEZ LOUISE!

Product or Service Mentioned: Earthlink Internet Service.

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Hustling modems, High cost, Hustling faster speed for dsl and their l0meg websites, Websites they give have impossible domain name.

Comments

Two days ago I woke my desktop from sleep and had no internet. My modem lights would show my ethernet "off".

Then my modem was cycling through powering down and re-starting itself. For most of the next 24 hours I had just brief moments connected so that a few e-mails would load, then it would go down again. Several years ago, there were times when Earthlink DSL would be down for a couple of days and come back on its own. This time because of the modem symptoms I suspected my 8-yr-old modem was bad.

Customer support listened to me explain the situation and concurred that my modem was bad. Replacement would be $79.95 plus $19.95 shipping. (8 yrs ago there was no charge for a replacement modem.) Back in 2009 a rep spent lots of time on the phone trouble-shooting to verify that I needed a new modem. This time, no trouble-shooting at all, just saying it sounded like the modem had failed - buy a new one.

A couple hours after ordering the new modem, my modem worked just fine again, and no problems for the last 24 hours or so.

I wonder if they have a way of programming it to look like your modem is failing just to sell you a new one? If that could be proven, the situation is ripe for a class-action suit.